The following years represent significant moments in the life of Hyde Park Presbyterian Church. These innovative steps led to building of a warm, loving congregation. The faith of early church founders provided a beautiful and functional church building in which to worship and glorify God and minister to men, women, and children in our community. Their vision and insight have paved the way for Hyde Park to serve as an instrument of God’s grace and love to carry the gospel of Jesus Christ from generation to generation.
The Olivet Chapel was built in 1910 on the lot at Inman and Oregon Avenues. Only four years later, in 1914, Hyde Park Presbyterian Church was organized by the Presbytery of St. Johns, with 31 charter members. Dr.J.R.C.Brown was called as the first minister. The elders and deacons organized a campaign to raise funds to build the first house of worship. By1917 the first church building was dedicated. By then, there were 150 members, most of whom were faithful tithers. In1947 exciting plans were under way to launch a capital campaign to build a new Sanctuary and Educational building. By 1952 the current Sanctuary and an initial Educational building were completed and dedicated to glorify the Lord.In1968 a capital funds effort was launched to create an addition to the educational facility, now known as the Fellowship Hall and East Educational Wing. An unfortunate setback occurred in 1987 when the church experienced a devasting fire that affected the Fellowship Hall and part of the educational building. To renovate damages and to expand facilities, funds were generated in 1988 with a campaign called “Vision 2000” to lead us to the start of the next millennium. In April, 2000, a 3-year capital campaign was undertaken to fund a complete renovation and modernization of the building and grounds. Now we move on to do God’s work, aware that he has blessed us with the sacrificial giving of our people. Furthermore, he has placed us as stewards over this wonderful facility
Within the context of this rich history, God has used our church to reach out as one of the founding churches for Metropolitan Ministries; housing The Rainbow Center, a program for abused children; enabling leaders to serve in the Billy Graham Crusade, Habitat for Humanity, Tampa Helpline, the Judeo Christian Clinic, Beth-El Ministry, the Good Samaritan Counseling Center, Boy Scouts and other significant ministries. If God has used HPPC as a beacon of light in so many ways since 1910, what might He accomplish through us in the coming years?